6/14/09

Brian. Cut it out!

Brian Bruney speaks his mind. He blamed the instant replay umpire meeting, during which he was throwing in the bullpen, for his elbow injury earlier this year. Then he was questioned about the "Luis Castillo" game against the Mets. He said "“Couldn’t have happened to a better guy on the mound [Francisco Rodriguez] either. He’s got a tired act[His post-game celebrations]...He gets what he deserves, man. I just don’t like watching the guy pitch. I think it’s embarrassing.” Mr. Bruney, how many save records have you broken? Look I like Brian Bruney. I hate K-Rod. But I have two issues with Bruney's comments. 1. He's not established enough to make a remark like that. Bruney you have to have a really good rep to challenge someone like K-Rod. 2. It didn't "happen" to K-Rod. It "happened" to Luis Castillo. Castillo rebounded today, and I don't have many complaints about Castillo's character. Look Brian, I love seeing K-Rod fail, but he did his job. I loved getting the win, but I'm not going to hate on Luis Castillo. It wasn't K-rod's fault, it was Castillo's and I'd love to see it happen to a guy with attitude issues, but Castillo? I loved getting the W. Don't get me wrong. It made my night. But I'm not going to say it was a good thing that it happened to him specifically.

By the way (via PeteAbe)...K-Rod responded with...

“He needs to keep his mouth shut and do his job...If he was a big guy, I’d probably pay attention. If he was somebody big like Mariano, I’d respect that. But if I don’t know who he is, I just don’t listen...Instead of sending a message through the paper, next time when he sees me at Citi Field come up to me and say it to my face. Don’t be sending a message through the media. I don’t even know who that guy is. Somewhere in Double-A? I believe he hasn’t even pitched one full season. He’s always been on the DL. That’s all I know right now.”

I'm not a K-Rod fan, but I get exactly where he's coming from. Bruney took a shot that didn't need to be fired. Now his DL return will be sprinkled with talks of these comments rather than his success in rehab.

No comments: