12/22/08

Kevin Will Love This...

Kevin over the past two years has done nothing but talk about how we should get Aaron Rowand to play CF. Sweeny Murti of WFAN agrees with him. Murti proposes Aaron Rowand for IPK and Xavier Nady. This is a very interesting proposition. Rowand is a career .283/.342/.453 hitter. He is very consistent at the dish and is even better in center. He has consistently been regarded as one of the better defensive CF in the game. Unfortunately he comes at a high price. I think that IPK and Nady might be a little bit too high for Rowand, but if the Giants picked up some of his contract, I don't see why Cashman shouldn't ask.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All right. Let's get the record straight. I was in favor of signing Aaron Rowand when he was a free agent a year ago. My logic was that although he isn't a tremendous offensive force, he puts up quality stats. He is good in centerfield, but maybe not the best. But the most important thing is that he gives 150%. Who saw him run into that wall in Philadelphia? He is a class act who I've been a fan of since he was a White Sock. He's the kind of guy I like to root for because of his effort. I wouldn't mind adding Rowand, especially if San Francisco would eat some of his salary, however I would most definitely not trade Ian Kennedy for him. Kennedy will be a decent starter in the next year or two and I think that is valuable. Rowand is signed through 2012. I really wouldn't mind an outfield of Holliday, AJax, and Rowand. Rowand has $48mm left on his contract. That's $12mm a year, which isn't exactly a bargain, but isn't terrible either. I don't think either side would do Murti's proposed trade. The Giants don't particularly need Kennedy or Nady. They pretty much have their starting rotation set with Lincecum, Cain, Lowry, Jonathan Sanchez, and Zito. In the outfield, if Rowand were traded, they would most likely move Randy Winn to center and have Nate Schierholtz play right. The Giants need a power hitter, preferably one that can play the corner infield spots. I suppose they could play Nady at first, but I don't think he is necessarily a power hitter as this year was the first where he has had more than 20 home runs. I think the Giants would benefit more from acquiring Nick Swisher, who hit 24 homers this past year, 22 in 2007, 35 in 06, and 21 in 05. They might also be interested in Juan Miranda. I don't see them looking to get Nady and Kennedy though.